Saturday, July 23, 2011

Harnessing the Power (Part II)

In the last post, we compared and contrasted some different "educational" songs to discover what qualities make a song an effective memory tool.
Quick overview...cut the fluff, put the most important content in the chorus, and make it fun!!

Now maybe you're a teacher; you've read the last two posts and would agree with everything I've said. However, you still think "this music thing just isn't for me". We've all heard people say stuff like, "I'm just not the musical type" or "singing in front of a bunch of kids...not my cup of tea" or "I sound like a dying cat when I sing". Honestly for me, the idea of singing in front of a whole class room full of teenagers is a little daunting. Teaching the Best Practice Way explains how many teachers have what the authors call "art phobia", a fear of using the arts (which includes music as well as other visual arts) inside classrooms. So if you fall in this category of teachers, don't worry! You are not alone, and this post is for you. I'll give you 6 Teacher Tips on how to overcome this fear or use music despite your fear.
  1. This tip is for all who consider it actual torture (for both you and your audience) to sing. If this is the case, I would suggest assigning group projects for your students to complete and present. I touched on this last post so reference "Harnessing the Power (Part I)" for more info.
  2. You don't always have to "reinvent the wheel" so to speak. There are a many great songs (as well as not great songs...see video A on the last post) on the Internet. Use this resource to your advantage. Here is a website called Smart Songs for all you history teachers out there. Watch this Smart Song video on the Bill of Rights. They have songs that discuss in detail everything from the Stock Market to State Capitols to Benjamin Franklin's Way to Wealth and more. What I love about these high quality videos is they contain so much information and very minimal "fluff". You could easily play a song or video as your Anticipatory Set. This would be a great way to introduce a unit or new topic. However, keep in mind if you really want students to remember the lyrics (not just be familiar with the lyrics) repeating the song more than once is important.
  3. Use someone else's voice. If you write song lyrics using your content, find someone else to sing the song in class or make a recording to play. If your school has a music department, a choral teacher could make an excellent resource.
  4. Try rapping. Maybe you can't sing, but you can rap with the best of them. You never know til you try. To get your creative rap juices flowing here are some videos... Math Rap & Science Rap. These videos are both from a YouTube channel called Rhyme 'n Learn.
  5. There are ways to make yourself sound better than you actually do. Watch this video. How cool is that? It's true...there is an app for everything. Use an app like the one mentioned in the video, and it will even compose music to complement your song.
  6. Lastly, accept that you can't sing well and roll with it. It's our job to teach students. If you sound silly singing, but your students are learning...it might be worth it. Also, asking your students to sing along with you could help relieve nerves and overcome that fear. The more people singing the less they'll hear your voice. Make sure the melody is familiar.
Those are the 6 Teacher Tips of the week. I hope I've helped convince you that every teacher can use music in the classroom. And if that wasn't enough to convince you...what about money? You can actually get grants for using music in teaching. Check out the Music is Revolution grant information on this website.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent! As someone who, as you say, sounds like a dying cat when I sing, this post was reassuring and inspiring! And, in a certain way, it could be really good for students to see a teacher doing something publicly that she's not good at...because isn't that what we're asking our students to do every day? Getting up there and singing your heart out in the name of learning might be exactly what's needed to make your classroom a place where students can try, fail, and be willing to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME! I especially love the Bill of Rights rap, totally using that when we are covering that time period. It definitely will be a great anticipatory activity and made me think of even having the students create their own raps on this topic and compare them to the video after. The tips you offer are definitely reassuring and make me feel less self-conscious about singing (not so well) in front of my future students. Can't wait for your post next week!
    -J.Lopez

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such great tips! I agree with Margaret; I think that going out on a limb even when you can't sing encourages students to try new things. I also like the variety of your tips, which engage students in more ways than one. By using raps and well-known melodies, you are sparking the interest of students through popular culture. When you mentioned apps, it made me think of something. Have you ever heard of the "I am T-pain" app. Tou can speak into the phone and it autotunes your voice...perfect for those who aren't quite ready to belt out a little melody on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I definitely agree that putting something to music makes it easier to remember. After all, how many of our students can quote song lyrics but not theorems, or historical facts, or great books? At the elementary school I student taught at, we had the students learn School House Rocks songs on the American Revolution, and we performed them to their parents at the end of our unit. They all did it from memory, and since they had also been reading about what they were singing, I'd be surprised if they didn't come out of the experience with greater knowledge of the Revolution :)

    I also found all the tips really helpful. At the middle school I subbed at, the social studies teacher did #1, having students work in groups to write a review song for a unit on India. Granted, some songs had more substance than others, but all students were engaged for the making and presenting of all the songs.

    I'll have to see if RhymenLearn does something with quadratics ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the Science Rap video that you posted. It is quite possibly one of the best explanations i have seen of nuclear fission. You are motivating me to get some songs into my Unit plan, although my first cursory search for projectile motions songs turned up only atrocities. Perhaps I will turn to group projects, as I will certainly not be leading the singing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips. I really loved your last tip. It seems within every presentation of work or information (artistic singing, formal reading aloud, etc.) a little vulnerability on the part of the teacher goes a long way. I understand some people fear public performance, but as a teacher it seems like a great opportunity to "humanize" yourself in your students' eyes without necessarily undermining your authority as an educator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff, just great! If you havent met me yet, I'm not terribly shy, and I look forward to bludgeoning my students eardrums with this somber baritone. A convenient aspect of English is that every song written in English is subject to analysis, let alone adaptation. So while mathies and science buffs have to re-write lyrics, my students and I get to study the originals (and perform them) before manipulating them to our needs. Regardless, great tips and awseome info; well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful continuation of your series. I like how you present many different ways of incorporationg music into your lesson (Variety is the spice of life.) By the way, great job with Maslow today -- I enjoyed it. Moreover, thank you for the link concerning receving grant money for using music in your lesson. Incredible! Finally, do you plan to sing a song? Or rap for us? I promise Jenny S. and I will sing along. ;-)

    ReplyDelete